The Faculty Code of Professional Ethics
Guided by a profound belief in and respect for the inherent dignity and worth of each individual in the culturally diverse community we serve the faculty at College of the Desert endeavor to:
- Place as their highest priority excellence in teaching, continually striving to improve scholarly and professional competence, maintaining personal and academic integrity, and accepting the role of intellectual guide and facilitator.
- Encourage the free pursuit of learning, honoring the confidential nature of the relationship between instructor and student, avoiding exploitation of students for private advantage, and holding before them high scholarly standards for their discipline and appreciation and respect for others.
- Accept accountability for maintaining honest academic conduct, high standards of performance, and evaluation that reflects the true merit of students, courses, programs, and services.
- Accept the obligations associated with membership in a community of scholars that include practicing, fostering and defending intellectual honesty, freedom of inquiry and instruction, social responsibility, and respect for the opinion of others.
- Acknowledge the rights and obligations associated with the role of citizen within the community ensuring that views expressed within that society are represented as those of a private citizen rather than those of a spokesperson for the College.