We are pleased that you are interested in the Nurse Assistant Program at College of the Desert (COD). The Program is approved by the California Department of Public Health. The links at the bottom of the page includes questions students most frequently ask and information that we hope will provide answers for you. Call 760-773-2579 or 760-568-3093 if you need further information.
The Nurse Assistant course (Health Sciences 064) is generally offered each fall and spring semester and currently has no separate application process for entry. Register as you would for any other class offered at COD.
Please Note: Currently COD is only able to offer one section per semester and the class size is limited to 15. If you have not obtained Level One registration priority it is highly unlikely that you will be able to register for this class (or even get on the waitlist). We suggest checking with the Partnership and Community Education (PACE) Office for any possible non-credit options. Here is also a link to a list of facilities and other schools in California where CNA training can be found: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/services/training/Documents/CNATrainingPrograms.pdf
- The LiveScan background check will be done during the first or second class meeting for registered students.
- Any American Heart Association approved CPR course for health care providers is acceptable and must be completed before the beginning of this class.
- A basic physical exam with proof of recent TB check and flu shot must be completed before first class meeting.
Disqualifying Penal Code Sections:
All CNA/HHA students considering enrolling should review this list carefully to avoid wasting their time, effort, and money for training, testing, and submission of fingerprints since they cannot receive the required criminal background clearance if they have been convicted of any of these violations. Please call the California Department of Public Health, Licensing and Certification Division at 916-558-1784 or or send an email to the CNA email address email@example.com
if you have concerns regarding your background.
Students with qualifying hours in the RN or LVN programs are eligible to undergo examination for the Nursing Assistant certification. Use the following links to pursue this option:
- Information and instructions from the CA Dept. of Public Health: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/occupations/Pages/AidesAndTechs.aspx
- Forms and Requirements http://www.cdph.ca.gov/services/training/Pages/ReviewUnit.aspx
- 283B form (make sure to check the "Equivalent Training" box) : http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/cdph283b.pdf
- Certified Nurse Assistant Training Regulations
California Code of Regulations, Title 22, Division 5, Chapter 2.5, Article 1-5
(Please click 'Title 22', 'Division 5', 'Chapter 2.5', 'Article 1-5' )
- Certified Nurse Assistant Training Federal Regulations
Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, 483.75 and 483 Subpart D (PDF)
- It is preferable to FAX information to the CNA/HHA/Certification Unit, FAX (916) 552-8785, or send an email to the CNA email address firstname.lastname@example.org
CA Dept. of Public Health
P.O. Box 997416, MS 3301
Sacramento, CA 95899-7377
For all other counseling needs please call (760-773-2520) or visit the main Counseling Services office in the Administration building.