Basic Firefighter Academy: FALL-2014
The College of the Desert-Public Safety Academy FIRE 063A (Basic Firefighter Academy-Part 1) is the first required course of a sequential two semester accredited SFM Basic Firefighter Academy designed to provide cadets with a basic knowledge of fire service operations and the entry level skills required by most fire departments.
Successful completion of both FIRE 063A and FIRE 063B (Basic Firefighter Academy-Part 2) are required to be eligible to apply for the State Firefighter I Certificate. The part-time academy amounts to College units and a student completing the academy will receive certificates of achievement through the California State Fire Marshal’s Office, California State Training Institute, the National Wildland Coordinating Group, and FEMA.
- Complete or enroll in Fire 001, Fire Protection Organizations (3 unit course).
- Complete or sign-up for, CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test) http://www.cffjac.org/go/jac/ OR BIDDLE http://leo.riohondo.edu/firetech/biddle.htm
- Complete COD Fire_Academy_Application BFA.pdf
Please review the application and make sure itis completely filled out,with the appropriate paper work attached, before submission. Applications are due Friday, June 13, 2014 before 6pm.
- Students who do not possess an EMT Certificate when applying will be required to complete an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) 3-unit course prior to completion of Fire-063B.
- EMT is being offered in the Summer-2014. Please refer to attached flyer.
EMT SUMMER-2014 FLYER.pdf
- Fire-001 is being offered in the Summer-2014. Please refer to attached flyer.
FIRE 001 SUMMER-2014 FLYER.pdf
Turnout Gear Rental Information:
College of the Desert Fire Academy Rental Flyer 2012 with Measuring Instructions.pdf
Uniform Purchasing Information:
COD FIRE ACADEMY P-P UNIFORM SIZING SHEET 2012.pdf
For information regarding pre-requisites and/or how to apply please contact the PSA staff at MyPSA@collegeofthedesert.edu or call (760) 674-3765.