Navigate Up
Sign In

Drops, Withdrawals and Repayment of Funds

Students who drop classes after receiving their first disbursement most likely will have their aid adjusted. It is advised that students speak with a Financial Aid Office staff member before dropping any classes to determine the impact on their financial aid.
Federal law states that if you completely withdraw from your classes before completing 60% of the semester you may be required to pay back financial aid funds that you received. Based on the date you withdraw from your classes, the College must calculate the amount of financial aid you received that you “actually” earned and the amount you must pay back. All money received in the form of a federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) and/or Direct Loans will be subject to repayment requirements. 

If you do owe money, work with the Financial Aid and Business Offices so that you can arrange for regular payments to be made with either the College or federal government without losing your student aid eligibility. It is important to take care of the details before you permanently leave school. If you owe money and leave college without paying back any federal funds, the Financial Aid Office will have to put a HOLD on your student financial aid eligibility. This means that ALL colleges that administer federal student financial aid will have information about your grant overpayment and that you owe money back to the federal government. You cannot receive any additional financial aid until this debt is repaid.