TRANSFER STUDENT'S CHECKLIST
C.O.D. COLLEGE BOARD CODE: 004085
C.O.D. FINANCIAL AID TITLE IV CODE: 001182
As a public community college, College of the Desert is part of the tripartite system of higher education in California. Students may complete their lower division (freshman and sophomore level) course requirements here and transfer to a four-year college or university with full junior standing (60 semester units).
Priority admission at California State University (CSU) and the University of California (UC) is given to upper division California community college transfers.
Requirements at private and out-of-state institutions vary considerably, and you should consult your transfer university early to learn what its transfer admission requirements are.
Changes in admission, general education, major preparation and other selection requirements are subject to change, and may impact your transfer to the university.
Meet regularly with your faculty advisor and university admission staff, keep current with your university's catalogue requirements, and update your educational plan each semester to confirm your choice of classes.
RESEARCH TRANSFER INSTITUTIONS
- Does the university offer the major you want?
- Consider campus size, location and climate.
- What is the tuition?
- Do you qualify for financial aid and scholarships?
- What housing opportunities are available?
- What extracurricular activities are offered?
- Do you qualify for admission? Is it competitive?
- What are the General Education requirements?
- What courses do you need for your major?
- Are you required to take the SAT, ACT or the TOEFL?
- Is an essay required?
- Do you need letters of recommendation?
APPLYING FOR ADMISSION
- Can you apply online?
- What is the application deadline?
- What does it cost to apply (application fee)?
- Are application fee waivers available?
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Have you given your references sufficient information about yourself (e.g. a resume, a copy of your transcript) and ample time to write them?
KEEP COPIES of all application materials you submit.