Navigate Up
Sign In

AB 2478 - Student Residency Requirements for Veterans

AB 2478 makes students who were stationed in California as active duty military for more than one year immediately prior to being discharged from the military exempt from paying nonresident tuition for up to 1 year.  This exemption is to be used while he/she lives in this state and within two years of being discharged.

The student must file an affidavit with the community college stating that he/she intends to establish residency in California as soon as posible.  (see form below)

This prohibits a former military of the U.S. military who received a dishonorable or bad conduct discharge from being eligible for an exemption.

Note for potential Post-9/11 GI Bill recipents:  Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) benefits does not pay non-resident tuition!  Even if you plan to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill, if you qualify for the AB 2478 Tuition Exemption, you will need to apply for it or you would be responsible for the non-resident tuition portion of your fees.


The AB 2478 California Veteran Tuition Exemption form must be submitted to the Veterans Resource Specialist (located in COD's Veterans Resource Center) along with a copy of your DD-214 page 4 and your Military Orders that you were stationed in California for a minimum of 1 year & 1 day immediately prior to discharge.



AB 2478 Form