Facebook Pixel for Tracking
Navigate Up
Sign In

​Cal-Vet Fee Waiver

California Department of Veterans Affairs
College Fee Waiver Program for Veterans Dependents

The California College Fee Waiver benefits the spouse and children of U.S. veterans.  Students meeting the eligibility criteria may get their college fees waived if they attend a California Community College, a California State University, or University of California campus.

To be eligible, students must:

  • Have a parent who is a disabled veteran (0% or more disabled, proof may be required); or
  • Have a spouse or domestic partner who is service-connected (S/C) deceased or rated 100% S/C disabled.  (If using Plan A, DD-214 required)
  • Be a child earning less than $12,119 per year (AY 2014-2015) (student’s income, not parents’).
  • NOTE:  there is no income limit for a spouse, domestic partner or children of S/C deceased or 100%.
  • Attend a California Community College, California State University, or a University of California school.
  • Provide proof of the student's relationship to the veteran such as a copy of a birth, marriage or domestic partnership certificate.
  • Applicants to the program that are required to submit proof of income, such as a copy of the previous year's tax return, must be submitted with your application.
  • If the student had no income, a statement to that effect can be obtained from either the Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Request for Transcripts
     Form 4506-T.  You can call the Franchise Tax Board at 800-852-5711, or call the IRS at
  • For more information, see the Calfornia County Veterans Services Office website
  • To download the form, click on:  Application

For more complete eligibility information and assistance in applying for this benefit, please contact:

Riverside County Veterans Services Office
(760) 863-8266
44-199 Monroe Street, Indio
located at the Workforce Development Center

Please note to process the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver at College of the Desert:

  • Submit the Cal-Vet College Fee Waiver Application to your County Veterans Services Office.
  • Once you're approved and receive the Authorization letter from the County Veterans Services, submit that letter along with the COD Cal Vet Fee Waiver Form to the COD Veterans Services Office. 


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.