Frequently Asked Questions

Show All Content

What type of graduates are accepted into plEDGE?

All current high school graduates from the Coachella Valley, including homeschooled students and graduates of adult GED/high school programs, are accepted, regardless of age.

Does plEDGE cover all semesters?

plEDGE only covers Fall and Spring semesters. If a student registers for Winter intersession or Summer session courses, the student is financially responsible for paying for their course(s), or the student can contact the Financial Aid Office to verify if their financial aid can cover these costs.

When are the two years of free tuition from plEDGE applied to my account?

plEDGE covers eligible students’ tuition and fees for two consecutive years. These monies are applied by the end of the academic year. NOTE: Students may see a pending balance on their accounts after the start of the semester, but this will not prevent students from registering for classes for following semesters.

What if I miss a semester or a year, will I be able to get plEDGE in the future?

A student is able to miss a semester or a year; however, plEDGE will only cover two consecutive years after the student graduated high school and completed the EDGE program.

Do students need to complete EDGE in order to receive plEDGE?

Yes, all students must complete the summer bridge EDGE program immediately after graduating from high school to be admitted into the plEDGE program.

What if I did not take EDGE immediately after graduating from high school? Can I take it the following year and qualify for plEDGE?

If you did not complete EDGE immediately after graduating from high school, unfortunately, you are not eligible for plEDGE.

Do I have to do take the summer bridge EDGE program every year?

No, you do not have to retake EDGE if you successfully completed the program. However, if you believe it will benefit you to re-take EDGE, or a counselor has advised you to do so, then yes you can retake EDGE.

What programs of study does plEDGE cover?

All COD degree programs, including certificate programs, are covered by plEDGE.

Can my attendance be shared with my parent/guardian?

No. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects all confidential student information, including attendance, class schedules, and grades.

Do plEDGE students receive priority registration?

Yes. First year plEDGE students receive priority registration for the Winter and Spring terms after successfully completing the EDGE program.

What if a student falls below the 12-unit requirement during the semester?

Students should attempt to stay enrolled in 12 units throughout the semester. If you need to drop classes, see a counselor for assistance to help you stay on track for your academic program. Students who meet the following exemptions may still remain eligible for plEDGE:

  • Students with disabilities may be eligible to take fewer than 12 units with DSPS counselor approval

  • Students who are currently employed full-time

  • Students who are pursuing a certificate-based program of study

What happens if I did not complete my community service hours? Where can I do them?

Students are responsible for 10 hours per academic year to remain eligible in the plEDGE program. Students have until the end of the academic school year to submit their hours. Students can find opportunities on our webpage or can look for their own volunteer opportunities anywhere in the valley. Some examples include: churches, festivals, COD events, etc.

What happens if I am a plEDGE student and earned a grade of “W” or “F” this semester?

Students who received a “W” or “F” will remain in plEDGE. However, students do need to maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA to remain in the program.

I do not qualify for financial aid because my family’s income is too high. Do I still have to fill out a financial aid application?

Yes. It is a requirement of plEDGE that each student complete a financial aid application and have it on file. Students will still qualify for plEDGE, regardless of family income.

What does it mean if I have an incomplete financial aid file?

You may need to submit additional documents with the Financial Aid Office. To check for pending required documents, go to your Financial Aid Self Service portal in WebAdvisor. If you do not complete your Financial Aid file by the deadline, you will be responsible to pay the balance on your account.

What happens if I do not complete my financial aid file by the December 16th deadline?

If you do not complete your financial aid file, you will be financially responsible for your classes.

The semester started and I still see a balance on my account. Is plEDGE still paying my tuition?

plEDGE students may show a balance on their accounts through the end of the semester, but this should not prevent them from registering for courses for upcoming semester.

What if I paid for my classes. Can I get a refund?

If you paid for your classes, you may request a refund through the Bursar’s Office. Please make sure to fill out an Application for a Refund, which can be found on the Bursar’s page of the College of the Desert website.

I do not qualify for AB540, am I still eligible for plEDGE?

Yes, you are still eligible for plEDGE if you are not an AB540 student. If you have any questions about your residency as it applies to plEDGE, please contact us.