Child Development & Education Banner

Childhood Development and Education (CDE)

The study of child development and developmentally appropriate practices for young children. Career paths chosen by students pursuing undergraduate studies in CDE commonly include infant/toddler or preschool teachers and administrators. Careers in the discipline that generally require graduate-level degrees include administrators of government funded programs like Head Start and state preschools. Even students who choose not to major in CDE find that coursework in the field improves their parenting skills.

College of the Desert’s CDE curriculum includes course offerings that provide a general overview of the discipline, as well as teaching strategies that are developmentally appropriate for young children. Students earning CDE certificates may also choose to continue their study toward an associate, baccalaureate or advanced degree in the field. Students earning an associate’s degree in CDE may pursue entry-level positions as preschool teachers or may choose to continue their study in the discipline toward a bachelor’s or graduate degree. COD has transfer agreements with CSUSB, in this discipline/program. However, transfer requirements at four-year colleges and universities tend to vary from institution to institution; students should consult with a counselor for specific information regarding the transfer requirements of their preferred college or university.

Program General Information

Please call 760-568-3093 or one of the faculty advisors listed below:

CDE Faculty Advisors

Maria Avalos
Indio Campus, 304-C

Current Items of Interest

CDE to CSU Transfer Options - LiveBinders

This resource provides students who are considering or completing an Early Childhood Education AS-T, Elementary Teacher Preparation AA-T, or Child and Adolescent Development AA-T (the CHAD AA-T is currently under development at Saddleback College) with an overview of the CSU programs with similar degrees. It is organized by degree, then by the CSUs that have similar degrees. Also included is a map to show where each of the CSUs is located in the state, a link to the CSU search tool for students potentially considering a different degree, and a link to CSUs information and application page for transfer students. Each university offers a little bit different version of similar degrees even when the names of the degrees are the same. Links to each university and their specific degree programs are provided here along with contact information for university chairs and advisors so that students can learn about the individual programs and make informed decisions during their transfer application

Campus Child Care

The McCarthy Child Development and Training center serves children 12 months to 5 years old. It is state-funded, providing care for school hours as well as breakfast, lunch, and/or snack depending on the hours of care. Parents must prove income eligibility and need of services. Please call 760-862-1308 for more information.

Child Development Permit

This link contains basic information on who needs a permit and how to obtain one. Includes links to further resources.

Permit Stipend Information

Child Development Training Consortium Grants


If you are an CDE student here at College of the Desert and are also working with children, you may qualify for a stipend from the Child Development Training Consortium. You must apply each semester to qualify for this stipend. Please follow the link below, create and print a student profile, have it signed by your employer and return to Maria Avalos by October 1st for the Fall semester and March 1st for Spring semester.

Print out the Student Child Development Training Consortium stipend and instructions

Once completed and signed, bring into the office or mail to:

College of the Desert
School of Health Science and Education
Attention: Maria Avalos
43500 Monterey Ave
Palm Desert, CA 92260

If you have questions, please email