Credit by Exam
Credit by exam is based on the principle that previous experience, training, or instruction
is equivalent of a specific course taught by College of the Desert
- The student will receive a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F, P, or NP) and grade points
in the same way as if enrolled in the course.
- A student may challenge a course only once.
- Credit by exam is possible in selected courses only
- Unit credit granted shall not count toward the minimum of 12 units required for residency.
- Credit earned according to this policy shall not count toward determination of eligibility
for Veteran’s benefits.
- There is a non-refundable $46 per unit fee to start the process.
Step 1: Eligibility Requirements Check List
- I am currently enrolled at COD.
- I am not on Academic Probation
- I have not earned college credit in a more advanced course.
- Transcripts of all previous course work are on file at Admissions and Records.
- I have not received a letter grade for this or an equivalent course at COD or any
other college or university.
Step 2: Approval Check List
- Meet with the Division Dean to determine which departments currently offer Credit
- Meet with the instructor to obtain verbal approval that he/she will administer the
Step 3: Payment
Complete the Credit by Exam form and pay the non-refundable $46 per unit fee at the Bursar Office on the first floor
of the Cravens Student Services Center.
Step 4: The Exam
Give the Credit by Exam form to the instructor and take the exam. The instructor will
complete his/her portion and forward the form to the Division Dean for processing.